What do you need to know about Nicoise Salad? It’s simple. It’s delicious. It has a lot of great ingredients that are good for you. I mean – really good for you!
The traditional Nicoise Salad recipe includes lettuce, tomatoes, green beans, tuna, anchovies, olives, and eggs. Other variations may bell peppers, radishes, corn, artichokes, or onions. It’s really up your imagination for how your Niciose Salad will turn out. I use many of the tradition ingredients plus potatoes. Some may not like a combination of fish and potatoes. I find it to be particularly tasty – especially when the dressing is made fresh!
Of course, the heart of Nicoise Salad is the dressing! A perfectly healthy salad dressing consists of heart healthy oil such as cold pressed olive, combined with vinegar or lemon juice. The oils helps fat-soluble vitamins A, D, E and K absorb into the body. Acetic acid in the vinegar helps suppress the appetite. Vinegar may also slow the speed at which our stomachs empties.
Ready to make Nicoise Salad? here we go!
Ingredients for Vinaigrette:
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium minced shallot
- 1 Tbsp minced fresh thyme leaves
- 2 Tbsp minced fresh basil leaves
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh oregano leaves
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 to 6 anchovies (if you like). Mash them up but taste to see if you need to add salt.
Ingredients for Salad:
- 2 grilled tuna steaks medium to medium rare or 2-3 cans of tuna
- 6 hard boiled eggs, peeled and either halved or quartered
- 10 small new red potatoes (each about 2 inches in diameter, about 1 1/4 pounds total), with each potato scrubbed and quartered. You can use also fingerlings.
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 medium heads Boston lettuce or butter lettuce (or whatever kind of lettuce you have)
- 3 small ripe tomatoes, cored and cut into eighths or grape/cherry tomatoes
- 1 small red onion, sliced very thin usually don’t bother with the onion
- 8 ounces green beans, I like to leave them long you can cut in half if you like
- 1/4 cup olives – any kind of black or green olives you like
How to Make Nicoise Salad :
In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, oil, shallot, thyme, basil, oregano, anchovies and mustard.
Place potatoes in a large pot and cover with 4 quarts of cold water. Bring to a boil. Add 2 tablespoons salt and cook until potatoes are tender, 5 to 8 minutes. Drain. Toss warm potatoes with 1/4 cup vinaigrette; set aside.
While the potatoes are cooking, in a separate pot, add a quart of water and 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt. Bring to a boil. Add the green beans to the pot. Blanch until tender but still a little firm, about 3 to 5 minutes. I like to put the beans into the pot of potatoes with the dressing.
I like to arrange the clean and dries lettuce leaves in a circular pattern on a large serving platter and drizzle with the dressing and then scatter the veggies around and then place the eggs and then the tuna broken into large pieces in the center of the platter and drizzle with more of the dressing. You may add sliced red onion and extra anchovies if desired.